A Message from Mayor Brennan to Our Business Community
Dear Merchantville business community:
During these challenging times, we thought it important to reach out to you as COVID-19 has clearly already had and is anticipated to cause further impact to our small business community. We understand the difficulty of owning and operating a small business under normal circumstances and we are particularly aware of the concern you all have as a result of this ongoing situation. First and foremost., you should know that the Borough is doing everything within its power to provide relief and accommodation to our small businesses and we commit to continuing to do so until such time as we get through this difficult time. Additionally, we are communicating daily with representatives of our other local communities, County officials, State and Federal representatives to discuss the issues facing our small businesses and we are working with them to find and implement solutions aimed at stabilizing small businesses and helping them through this substantial disruption. Particularly, discussions with Senators Menendez and Booker surrounded their work to expand unemployment insurance to the self-employed, provide for loan forgiveness, rent assistance, mortgage relief, direct cash payments and grant packages. All are being discussed at the Federal level. At the State level, we have communicated with our State Assembly representatives and State Senator and they have worked hard to pass legislation aimed at assisting small business through this difficult time. Locally, we will also be asking residents to support our businesses in any way they can. We hope that some of you will consider enhancing your capability for on-line purchases of goods and services, including gift certificates, so that you can provide more opportunities for your business and so we can support you by encouraging our residents to continue to Shop Merchantville during this disruption. While we continue to generate ideas and work on local measures to help you weather the economic impacts of COVID-19, attached is an initial list of small business resources that Borough and the MBPA have put together that will be placed on our website, www.merchantvillenj.gov and updated as more resources become available.
For those businesses able to stay open during this time, please continue to abide by CDC-recommendations and directives and Executive Orders of the State of New Jersey. I will be in touch again with you soon and should you need anything, please contact us at 856-662-2472 x 303.
Be safe and stay healthy,
Mayor Ted Brennan
SMALL BUSINESS RESOURCES
- The State of New Jersey has established a special website devoted to addressing business concerns. https://cv.business.nj.gov/ . This website has a chat function that allows for questions to be submitted and answered and it is monitored constantly.
- CDC - Interim Guidance for Businesses and Employers https://wvvw.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/guidance-business-response.html
- NJEDA - Information for NJ Businesses regarding COVID-19. NJEDA has resources for businesses that can provide financial assistance and relief. Particularly, there are grant opportunities available that were recently provided through legislation signed by Gov. Murphy. Check out the link below, call 609-858-6767 or contact NJEDA at https://contactus.njeda.com/ https://www.nieda.com/about/Public-Information/Coronavirus-Information
- Small Business Administration - Coronavirus (COVID-19): Small Business Guidance & Loan Resources https://www.sba.gov/page/coronavirus-covid-19-small-business-guidance-loan-resources
- NJDOL Benefits and the Coronavirus (COVID-19): What Employees Should Know https://www.nj.govilabor/worker-protectionsiearnedsicic/covid.shtml
- IRS — Coronavirus Tax Relief https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus
- SCORE - Coronavirus Business Resources https://www.score.org
- Bartender Emergency Assistance Program https://www.usbgfoundation.org/beap